Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Update: The New Lodge


I was walking by North Pond tonight and I noticed a few things. The new beaver lodge has a hole in the ice poked right by it. I took the best picture I could with my cellphone. It's a good sign that the beaver(s) are still beavering around! I walked by the old lodge and there, theres no hole in the ice, and the lodge looks kinda deflated. I would assume that that old lodge is now in a compost stage - cool! I took a closer look at the many living trees around the pond that are wrapped in chain-link fence, to protect from beaver action: I didn't spot any willow trees that were wrapped - willow trees actually grow more when beavers gnaw on their living bark. It looks like the conservation council decided to work WITH the beaver, and not against it! Yay!

1 comment:

Admin said...

My friend and I saw the beaver tonight swimming in open water about 10 yards out from the western shore of North Pond.

We were photographing the area, trying to get some photos of the birds, when we noticed a small round head moving through the water.